April 22, 2011 § 4 Comments
‘Do you ever stop thinking?’ I asked Jap Girl & Crazy one day, after a shoot. We were seated in a lovely Japanese restaurant, out little treat after a tiring day.
‘Yeah, all the time,’ Jap Girl replied. ‘Sometimes, I find myself doing it in the middle of a meeting or discussion, and I realize it’s kinda bad because when I start thinking again, I’ve lost my place in whatever has been going on… so I’ve been trying to get disciplined about my habit.’
‘You’re kidding, right?’ I was amazed. ‘How do you not think at all?’
‘It’s easy,’ Crazy said. ‘You just don’t. Your mind is blank. It shuts down, that’s all…’
‘You can’t just stop thinking…’ I shook my head in disbelief. ‘I mean, it’s more a sense of self-awareness, right? Like maybe you aren’t aware that you’re drifting off and thinking about other things like a nice wall, a pretty font, how the lady looks weird…’
‘Well, see… I never thought about that. I just don’t think in those blank spaces.’ Jap Girl looked puzzled. ‘You mean you think all the time? Don’t you ever run out of thoughts? Or get too tired to think anymore?’
‘Well, when I run out of thoughts… I think about why I have no more thoughts. Or that I’m too tired to think, and start to think about why I’m so tired, or how I can be less tired. Or ask myself why I have reached a place where thoughts are no longer pleasant… I have never stopped thinking. They aren’t all serious thoughts!’ I added, seeing their worried faces.
‘They can be random. But I’m aware of what inspired those random ideas…’ I paused. ‘I don’t think I’ve ever been in that place where thoughts don’t exist.’
‘I wonder if that’s a good thing or bad…’ Crazy said.
If my life was measured by the number of thoughts that cascaded through my mind, I have lived more than 2 months in the past 2 weeks. Staying awake for too many hours left too much time for reflections, assumptions and summaries.
If, however, growth was measured by the number of times my thoughts were corrected, altered and changed (to adapt to a new perception/understanding), then I have sped through a year in 14 days.
And what have I learnt?
- Perfection is an illusion, as long as it’s based on man’s performance.
- There is always more to meets the eye in any situation. There is always a story behind the actions of every person you meet. And there is always a different way of looking at things.
- Value is an intangible quality, too often measured by tangible qualities, which oversimplify its true worth.
- Purple cows can only be found in fields where it’s possible to reinvent what people expect.
- My position is a role. Not an identity.
- Leap, and the net will appear.
- Everything. And I mean everything… is temporary. Hold all things with a loose hand.
- Real creativity requires significant work.
- Love is the ultimate idea generator, the propelling force, the beginning and end of everything.
- I need an ‘off’ switch built into my brain.
And now, I sleep.
PS. I don’t think my posts qualify as a post-a-day anymore. More like a post-whenever-possible…